Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Grandma Awesomeness


So this post may not be as based on photography as it is completely not based on photography- BUT before you flake, since my writing is often terrible and incomprehensible, it would mean a lot to me to at least attempt to follow my rampaging thought train.  Although before I begin, it's a least slightly about photography- the photo above is my little homage to my Gram (I'll explain later), the person on whom this post is based.  So here we go...  What follows is a list of why my Gram is the coolest person ever, and why I'm busting my ass to raise funds and run a race in her honor.

  1. She doesn't know the meaning of "day off."  Yes, that may seem to be something most people believe about their grandmas, but when a lady basically doesn't take a single day off through her entire working career, to only begin volunteering at the hospital she was treated at following chemo, she takes it to the next level.
  2. She has excellent taste in ice cream.  Butter pecan.  Yessss.
  3. She willingly wore shoes painted with blue sparkly flames.  They were superawesome, and she rocked 'em like no one else could.
  4. She is terrifying in a political argument.  For realz.  And I wouldn't suggest starting a discussion while driving anywhere.... It wouldn't be shocking if she opened the door and booted you out.
  5. She chooses the most amazing gifts.  Presents from my gram are exceptional.  The photo above is a glitter/snow globe from the gift shop she volunteers in.  Gram knew that I have an unnatural (for my age) appreciation of glitter and fairies, and found the perfect combination of each.  She told me she also chose it because it had Forget-me-Not flowers at the bottom, so I never forgot her.  She also never forgets to send cards for holidays.  It's awesome.
  6. She's fun to drink with.  Yeah, that's right.  One Korbel and water (with fruit!) and she's a bit silly.  But again, stay away from politics.
  7. She's a great movie date.  It's our tradition that every time I'm in Madison, we go to see a movie. Occasionally one each day I'm there, actually.  She's got great film taste, and great book taste as well.  I've raided her enormous library more than once.
  8. She came to like every one of my brother's and my ski shows.  And donated money almost every time, bought more programs than any person needs, and also used to help out in the concession stand.  She was our bestest fan. 
  9. Her gene line led to some pretty awesome people.  Just throwing that out there.
So here's the deal.  I'm sure people are aware of my fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (my family has been super amazing helping out) but I don't want to just rest on what I've got.  So I'm again attaching the link for the fundraising page:  
and for my photography store page: http://curiousbirdphotos.blogspot.com/2011/01/just-buckets-of-karma-coming-your-way.html  (does your business need some new artwork?!?  or your house?) 
or if you're thinking you don't have the scratch to toss a little support to the LLS, any words for my Gram would also be greatly appreciated, especially now.

ALSO... For those who know Gram- 
Definitely feel free to add your own reasons of her awesomeness :)




5 comments:

  1. If she's anything like you, I bet she's the bees knees! I wish I had a grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will confirm and/or deny your points.
    1) day off = confirm. gram is crazy
    2) ice cream = deny. mint chip ftw
    3) sparkly shoes = not applicable. but sounds plausable
    4) political argument = confirm. gram is aggressive!!
    5) gifts = confirm. quite adept at shopping
    6) drink = confirm. good lord, keep the red wine away from her!
    7) movie date = not applicable. am sure our tastes in movies do not jive
    8) ski shows = confirm. amazing dedication
    9) genes = confirm!!!!

    yep, a bad ass. its science!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would add...Outstanding cushion fluffer. I thought Lambrusco or Liebfraumilch were her favorite mood alterers (although they never dimmed her ability to argue a political point). She has the highest tolerance for pain of anyone I know..she faced down migraines with sheer will power. She is also, without a doubt, the classiest person I've ever met. She's a peach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky for me she and I agree on most political things so I don't have to fear getting kicked out of the car on the highway. But yea Gram is by far the best gram anywhere!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm. Confirm on # 9 for sure - well mostly anyway, we do have some sketchy people in this family! Also, #1 and #5. Would LOVE to have seen the sparkly blue shoes!! I've never had a political discussion with Gram, though she calls me a raging feminist (raging? deny). In my recollection she has kicked one of us out of the car on a car trip one summer long ago...

    SEP

    ReplyDelete