Total Pageviews

Friday, February 3, 2012

Marketing Done Right

I'm not entirely sure if a post about the pictures used in ads is as much a commentary on photography as much as a commentary on changing social norms, but nonetheless, here we are.  And to be honest, my posts have strayed wildly from anything pertaining to actual photography for quite awhile.  So suck it up and deal with it.

Recently I discovered two magazine advertising campaigns that are awesome beyond awesome, and I'll tell ya why:

TARGET.  Can you tell what makes this so great?  If you work in my field, you've likely seen someone post something about this on facebook or somewhere similar, remarking how great it is.  If you're unable to tell why I like it so much (beyond the fact that kids are the bestest) look at the model on the far left.  I love that Target is using a model with Down's Syndrome, and not making a big deal out of it.  They're leaving that to the rest of us.  He's not in an ad for "special kids" clothes and they're not pointing out how great they are for using a model with a disability.  He's just one of the cute kiddos selling their clothes.  That's all.  And I'm not sure if this is a HIPPA violation or anything, but I do know that Target has used child models with disabilities before.  A family I used to work with had a daughter on the autism spectrum that worked for Target.  Rock on.

MACY'S.  This ad already has people writing petitions.  Mother's groups that think it will harm their children, or some such nonsense.  Can you tell why?  Again, unless you've seen other posts about this ad recently, I'm doubting you'll have any idea what the problem is.  Actually, even if you do know why it's causing an uproar, I can only hope you don't see the problem.  Apparently, people aren't cool with Macy's using a wedding cake with two grooms on the top, and this will somehow scar children forever, making them somehow believe that the trunk is an appropriate place for a cake.  Ah, crap.  I don't mean that as a euphemism for anything, but somehow I'm sure people are figuring out how to make that phrase  dirty.  But again, I digress.  Well played, Macy's.  I like the subtlety.  Again, normalizing something that should be considered normal.  Yay love.

No comments:

Post a Comment