Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2012

just ONE more trip down the tanz memory lane

So, I'm sitting here getting really really nostalgic for travel, and make the horrible mistake of cruising through some of my photo albums.  Argh.  So instead of my initial plan for the night to finally clean up my apartment a bit so it no longer smells/looks like a barn and/or nuclear test site, I decided to go through the albums and choose the pics that best represented the things I missed the most.  Obviously, it did not have the effect of purging my nostalgia...  and I am now going a bit bonkers.  On the plus side, if I have any luck getting this third job, I may be able to afford a trip to Croatia in May- so I will be able to miss terribly yet another wonderful place in this world.  I wish at times that my NZ, Scotland, and other various trips were documented with a digital camera, so that I could bombard you with those memories as well.  But luckily (for your sake) that's not the case.  So back to the Tanz we roll.

“All the pathos and irony of leaving one’s youth behind is thus implicit in every joyous moment of travel: one knows that the first joy can never be recovered, and the wise traveler learns not to repeat successes but tries new places all the time.” – Paul Fussell

1.)  I miss travel friends.  The people you run across with the same travel mentality, current excitement for life, and passion for something new or different.  They're with you as you basically transform into a whole new person.

 2.)  The kiddos!  They were curious, silly, and very direct and blunt about that curiosity and silliness.

3.)  Getting to play soccer with the Bagamoyo Sisters, and other situations like that.  I was so out of my element, played like crap, and never really understood what was going on around me- and that's most of what made it so awesome.

4.)  My students :)  They were rad beyond rad.  Often times beating the crap out of each other, and basically none of us spoke the same language (few were verbal, many were deaf, no one could teach me any Tanzanian sign, and my Swahili was lacking...) so it ended up being a very exciting environment.  Loved it and miss them quite a lot.

 5.)  This.  Does Zanzibar need an explanation?  Hapana.

6.)  And this.  I did not scuba (as I've never tried, and I'm fairly certain my ears and possibly brain would explode) so I snorkeled around the surface seeing beautiful sea-shenanigans while sunburning the bejesus out of my legs.

 7.)  How many of you can say you danced to Madonna with a Masaii?

 8.)  Seeing this...  and accomplishing one of the best drink-sip moments of my life.

 9.)  A cliche picture to be sure, but even having sat there, I still see this picture and think it looks fake.

10.)  Everyone likes camping if you get to camp above the clouds.


Oh geez, now it's even later, my apartment is still pretty gross, and I'm still drowning in memories.  However, if this at all makes you want to cruise around to some unexpectedly beautiful, life-changing locations- then I have done my job.  And if you choose the Tanz- want a friend to go with you???

No comments:

Post a Comment